Return to Plan Your Ceremony
The words you use to pledge yourselves to each other in marriage are some of the most important words you will ever speak. The four complete ceremonies found on the Ceremonies page contain a limited choice of vows. But here you will find and expanded collection of Traditional and Contemporary Vows from which you can choose the special words you will use on your wedding day. Want one of our officiants to plan your ceremony? Contact us today.
1. I, (name), take you (name), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; until death do us part.
2. I, (name), take you, (name), to be my [opt: lawfully wedded] (husband/wife), my constant friend, and my love from this day forward. In the presence of God, our family and friends, I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I promise to love you unconditionally, to honor and respect you, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live
3. (Name), I take you to be my lawfully wedded (husband/wife). Before these witnesses I vow to love you and care for you as long as we both shall live. I will help you when you need help, and I will turn to you when I need help. I choose you as the person with whom I will spend my life.
4. I, (name), take you, (name), to be my beloved (wife/husband), to have and to hold you, to honor you, to treasure you, to be at your side in sorrow and in joy, in the good times and in the bad, and to love and cherish you always. I promise you this from my heart, for all the days of my life.
5. In the presence of God and these our friends I take (thee/you), (name), to be my (husband/wife), promising with Divine assistance to be (unto thee/to you) your loving and faithful (husband/wife) so long as we both shall live.
6. I, (name), take you, (name), as my (husband/wife), to be no other than yourself. Loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know, I will respect you and have faith in your abiding love for me, throughout all our years, and in all that life may bring us.
7. I (name), take you (name) to be my (husband/wife), my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union every day. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the challenges we may face. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live.
8. I, (name), take you, (name), to be my (husband/wife), loving what I know of you, and trusting what I do not yet know. I cherish the opportunity to grow together, getting to know the (man/woman) you are and will become. I promise to love, honor and respect you throughout all our days
9. (Name), I love you. You are my best friend. Today I give myself to be your (husband/wife). I promise to encourage and inspire you, to laugh with you, and comfort you in times of sorrow and struggle. I promise to love you when it is simple, and when it is an effort. I promise to cherish you today, and all the days of our life.
10. (Name), with all my heart, I take you to be my (husband/wife). I will love you through good times and bad, through joy and sorrow. I pledge my life to you completely. From this day forward I am yours, for as long as we both shall live.
11. (Name), from this day forward I will be your (husband/wife). And so, I promise you that I will laugh with you in times of joy and comfort you in times of sorrow. I will share in your dreams and goals. I will listen to you with compassion and understanding, and speak to you with encouragement. I will be faithful to you for better or for worse, for all the days of our lives
Ceremony Planning Tools Select one of these other pages to find additional information for the creation of your distinctive ceremony.
- Plan Your Ceremony Use the My Wedding Ceremony Planner tool to plan your ceremony.
- Ceremonies Select the ceremony that’s right for you.
- Wedding Vows Choose from a range of vows or write your own.
- Exchange of Rings What will you say when you slip it on?
- Readings Inspirational selections to enhance your special moment.
- Marriage Symbols Sand Ceremony, Unity Candle, Handfasting, Wine Box